Hampshire’s Library Service began in 1924. The service to the Tadley area was provided by a mobile library until 1958 when the first branch library was opened. This was in Hut 283, off Bishopswood Road, and was open 10 hours a week (the hut was rented from its owners, the Ministry of Defence). A new prefabricated library costing £9,746 was opened on 27 September 1971 in Newchurch Road. It had a floor area of 1,500 sq feet (140 sq metres) and was open for 30 hours a week. A new permanent building (600 square metres), adjacent to the shopping development on Mulford’s Hill, was officially opened by The Lord Lieutenant of Hampshire, Mrs Mary Fagan, on 12 October 1994. Berkshire County Council also provided a small library, called Aldermaston Library, to serve the AWRE housing estate in 1954. However in 1976 it was recommended by the Berkshire Library Service that it be replaced by a mobile library because of its low usage and it was closed soon afterwards. It was housed in a building behind the Franklin Avenue shops at the eastern end of Almswood Road.